The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS leak

GVR4ZUM

Hi Guys,
My 4ws is leaking, here is a picture of where its leaking fluid.
Can somebody tell me which line that is, so that I'll know which one to replace.
I'm hoping its easier to replace that line than having to eliminate the 4WS.

Which one is it from this picture? If someone has a better picture showing which line it is, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

MDK87

The hoses to the pump have been cut. How do you plan to fix that?
Might as well just remove it now imo.
You have the cradle out. Won't take much to install some jayracing toe eliminators.
Otherwise you could just remove the 4WS components and have passive rear steering.
Afaik this will make understeer more pronounced.

G

Staff member
I think the first pic is just for reference.

GVR4ZUM

Yes, sorry for the confusion, the first pic is just for reference, someone posted it awhile back.

GVR4ZUM

^ I see what you're saying, but I think I would like to keep it...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I probably have this part, but have not been able to figure out from the picture which it is. I may be able to look at my pile of them this weekend to try and match up.

GVR4ZUM

Cool, its the line close to the rear passenger right wheel well by the frame...
Hope that helps.

Wizardawd

You could just goto any parts store, ask for a ready made stick of 3/16 line with metric inverted flare fittings at a length from 6 inches to 6 feet and a compression fitting to match. Then cut the line as far back as your stick, install compression fitting and bend the rest to match stock routing and insert into rear. Done. $10.

Wiz

transparentdsm

^ this is what i have done in the past and it works great. i also buy a can of underbody coating and clean up the area and hose and give it a quick coat to seal everything up

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Let me try again this weekend. I have two other guys pm'ing about 4WS parts and did not get this figured out yet. Sorry.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I am still not certain from your picture of the leak area if I have the right thing, but I have the lines in the yellow available if it is those. The lines in red I have also, but another member is looking to buy them right now.

The lines in yellow are still attached to the valve/manifold, but I can disassemble them. Can you confirm this is what you need?

GVR4ZUM

Thanks Ice for responding.
Ok I went to see the car over the weekend to have a really good look underneath there.
Its the lines connected to the rubber hose is what I need. I don't know how long this line is, does anyone know if it goes all the way to the front?
Please see the picture with red arrow.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If those are the low pressure return lines, they are very long and run up over the rear crossmember all the way up front over the front crossmember too, along the passenger side front frame rail and across the front lateral engine support all the way to the p/s reservoir. I have those too, but don't think they are shippable in stock condition.

They are much larger diameter and are greenish in color from their coating. That does not seem to match with your original pictures of the leaking line.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned